You can now view the City of Boroondara 2015-16 Annual Report and its companion document Our Community, Our Story 2015-16.

The City of Boroondara 2015-16 Annual Report documents our performance during 2015-16 against the objectives of the Council Plan 2013-17, Annual Plan 2015-16 and the Budget 2015-16.

Its companion document Our Community, Our Story 2015-16 details our highlights of the year and tells some of the stories behind our performance, achievements and challenges.

In the past financial year Council:

  • assisted 93 groups with annual Council community grants
  • completed 6,668 graffiti removal requests
  • collected 37,000 tonnes of household waste, 19,000 tonnes of household recyclables and 15,000 tonnes of green waste
  • planted 53,388 indigenous trees, shrubs, grasses and groundcovers
  • responded to over 196,000 phone calls and 9,800 online requests
  • processed 2.36 million loans through our libraries
  • received 1,501 new planning applications
  • attracted 2.44 million visits to Boroondara’s leisure and aquatic centres
  • administered 28,606 vaccinations
  • provided over 106,000 hours of in-home care for the elderly and people with a disability
  • welcomed 1,068 new citizens in citizenship ceremonies
  • maintained 250 parks, gardens and sportsgrounds plus 102 public playgrounds
  • maintained 2,268 kilometres of footpaths, 562 kilometres of roads and 692 kilometres of stormwater pipes.

Our results

At the end of 2015–16, our financial position remains sound with a net surplus of $41.12 million ($13.6 million above what was predicted due to conservative budgeting of revenue streams and increased revenue for open space contributions).

The $41.12 million surplus is largely committed funds for a range of community projects and reduction in debt, including:

  • $22.4 million reduction in debt over the next two years
  • $5.7 million for funding received for capital projects undertaken and to be completed in 2017-18
  • $3.5 million for projects commenced but not yet completed
  • $4.5 million for reserves required for open space and defined benefits
  • $1.2 million for non-cash accounts entries compared to budget.

This leaves $3.7 million as the available surplus.

A surplus net result means we are well placed to maintain and renew Council's $3.3 billion net community assets. We maintained infrastructure assets at the expected levels, while continuing to deliver the services needed by the community: $45 million was invested in renewal, expansion and upgrade works during the 2015–16 year. In 2015-16, Council completed 95 per cent of its Annual Plan commitments with the remaining 5 per cent underway.

See Annual Report to read our current and past annual reports.