Time is of the essence. The North East Link Authority (NELA) has this week released details of four potential corridors for the North East Link (NEL) project.
NEL is the proposed freeway connection to complete the missing link between Melbourne’s Metropolitan Ring Road and either the Eastern Freeway or Eastlink.
To date, little detail has been released by the North East Link Authority.
From our initial assessment, we believe that Corridor Option A poses the most direct impact on the City of Boroondara, particularly in relation to:
- Freeway Golf Course and Boroondara Tennis Centre
- Koonung Creek Reserve and other reserves/parks extending to Chandler Highway through upgrades to the Eastern Freeway including possible additional lanes
- Additional traffic levels, including truck traffic on Bulleen Road, connecting arterial roads and local roads and possible changes to these roads
- Additional noise levels along the Eastern Freeway corridor due to an increase in traffic and notably truck traffic
- Impacts on the future provision of the Doncaster Rail.
We will prepare a formal response. To do this we are urgently seeking further details from NELA and we also welcome your comments for inclusion by email at [email protected].
We also urge residents to attend a NELA information session on 17 August 2017 between 5pm-8pm at The Veneto Club, 191 Bulleen Road, Bulleen.
Corridor Option A would follow the Greensborough Highway south and connect with the Eastern Freeway near Bulleen Road, Balwyn North and would potentially involve:
- A major interchange at the intersection of Bulleen Road and the Eastern Freeway
- An upgrade of the Eastern Freeway between Chandler Highway and Springvale Road.
NELA will be preparing a business case on the preferred corridor option and submitting it to the Victorian Government by the end of 2017.
In the meantime you will find further information on the NEL corridor options at www.northeastlink.vic.gov.au/publications.
Cr Phillip Healey