Top tips to recycle right
VISY are receiving and processing 100 per cent of the kerbside recycling collections in Boroondara. This means our recyclable materials are not going to landfill.
However, it is more important than ever that materials placed in your recycling bins are the correct items and that they are not contaminated. If recycled materials are contaminated, they can’t be processed. This means they get sent to landfill.
Here are some of our tips to recycle right:
- Think before you throw it out and use our A to Z guide to learn which waste items go in each bin.
- Place your recyclable materials into your recycling bin loose and not inside a plastic bag.
- Rinse your recyclable materials before placing them in the bin.
- Try to ensure your glass bottles and jars are unbroken where possible. Don’t put broken drinking glasses or glass cookware (e.g. Pyrex) in your recycling bin.
- Spread the message and share your tips about recycling right with family members, friends and neighbours.
VISY does not recycle flexible plastics and as a result they can no longer be placed in your recycling bin. A good rule of thumb is if it can be easily squashed into a ball in your hand, it is most likely a flexible plastic.
Here are some examples of flexible plastics that cannot be put in your recycling bin:
Biscuit packets (wrapper only)
Pasta and rice packets
Frozen food and veggie bags
Chocolate bar wrappers
To recycle flexible plastics, you can drop them off at a ‘REDcycle’ collection point at your local Coles or Woolworths supermarket while doing your shopping. You can avoid flexible plastics by shopping at bulk loose food stores or farmers markets, choosing less packaged options and taking your own bags and containers.
Find your closest REDcycle collection point.