Welcome to 2021. The council year is well underway, and we are making headway on a range of initiatives designed to strengthen our community, and provide services and facilities that are high quality, inclusive and meet a variety of needs now and in future.
Capital works are continuing, in order to improve valued community assets. Construction works are underway on:
- Camberwell Community Centre
- Canterbury Community Precinct
- Kew Recreation Centre.
Work will soon begin on upgrading the Alamein Neighbourhood and Learning Centre, and I am pleased to report that works are now complete on the Balwyn Community Centre and Ashburton Seniors Centre.
Our vibrant community is what makes the City of Boroondara the great place it is. I would especially like to congratulate our 2021 Citizens of the Year:
- Veterinarian Dr Elaine Ong who volunteers her time to care for animals injured in disasters
- Yvonne Giltinan, founder of the Yarra Gospel Community Choir, which performed online throughout 2020
- Aidan Dimitriadis, named Young Citizen of the Year, who volunteers at Four Golden Hearts, a group that supports local families.
I commend our Volunteers of the Year. These individuals, groups and organisations embody the community spirit alive and well in our city:
- Andrew Tynan was named Volunteer of the Year for establishing the Repair Café in the Greythorn Community Hub
- Susan Laird and Yvonne Giltinan, joint recipients of the COVID-19: Outstanding Local Hero Award
- Boroondara Community Outreach, a local not-for-profit Uniting Church mission, received the COVID-19: Outstanding Innovative Program Award.
Thank you to all these deserving recipients for your many contributions. Our community is richer because of you.
In more good news, we are pleased to celebrate more than $700,000 in community grants awarded in 2020. By funding local initiatives, we respond to residents’ needs and partner with groups and organisations that benefit our community in a grassroots way.
For many residents and businesses in Boroondara, Lunar New Year is celebrated on Friday 12 February. I wish you a joyous festival and a happy, healthy and prosperous year ahead.
Cr Garry Thompson
Mayor of Boroondara