Here are some simple tips to help you reduce waste and celebrate more sustainably during this time.
Avoid or reduce it
- Shop for seasonal, package-free produce at the Camberwell Fresh Food Market or Boroondara Farmers’ Market for your Christmas Day feasting.
- Make a shopping list and stick to it, whether buying gifts or festive food and drinks. This helps avoid unnecessary purchases and saves money and waste.
- Consider a donation or an experience as a present instead of a physical gift.
- If you are buying new, try to support eco-friendly and sustainable brands.
- Keep your ‘shopping miles’ to a minimum by buying local – we all know our traders could do with our support this year.
- Make it yourself – homemade preserves in repurposed jars or a batch of festive-themed biscuits make lovely gifts.
- Buy a Christmas tree in a pot and reuse it every year. If you do buy a real cut tree, book in for our free Christmas tree collection service in January to have it recycled.
- Delve into the reuse economy this festive season by searching for unique gifts at charity shops, second-hand bookshops or markets like the Camberwell Sunday Market.
- Safely refrigerate or freeze your leftover food and reinvent it into different meals – there are plenty of simple and delicious recipes available online.
- Save the wrapping paper, ribbons and bows to reuse in future years.
- Recycle flexible/soft plastics via the REDcycle collection program, with drop-off bins located at your local Coles and Woolworths customer service desks.
- If your wrapping paper and cardboard bags can’t be reused, make sure you put them in your recycling bin, but note that foil wrapping cannot be recycled.
Recycle your Christmas tree with us
It’s easy to book a free kerbside collection to recycle your Christmas tree in the new year. Collections will operate from Monday 3 January to Friday 4 February for real trees only (no artificial ones). Last year we collected 2845 trees. They are sent off to be composted along with our food organics and garden organics. Bookings open Monday 13 December until 2pm Friday 28 January.
To book a collection, visit our Book a Christmas tree collection page.
Holiday bin collections
There are no changes or substitute days for bin collections this festive season. Please place your bins out for collection on their normal allocated day. If you’re planning to be out of town, you could ask a neighbour to put out your bins and bring them back in for you.
Save time and easily find your bin day or book your Christmas tree collection online.
Our simple online forms are one of the many ways we’re transforming Boroondara, making it easier for you to access what you need from Council.