Reduce your festive waste
Waste can be a real challenge for many households during the festive season. Here are some simple tips to help reduce waste during this time:
- Make a shopping list and stick to it – this helps avoid unnecessary purchases and saves money and waste.
- Shop for seasonal, package-free produce at your local fresh food or farmers’ market for your festive feast.
- Consider a donation or an experience as a gift instead of physical gifts.
- Safely refrigerate your leftover food and reinvent it into different meals – there are plenty of delicious and simple recipes available online.
- Buy a real Christmas tree in a pot and reuse it every year. If you do buy a real cut tree, book in for our free Christmas tree collection service in January.
- Buy gifts from a charity/op shop or look for products made with recycled materials.
- Recycle food scraps using your kerbside FOGO bin or home compost bin, turning it into valuable material for your garden to flourish.
- Put empty, food-free hard plastic containers and bottles, glass bottles and jars, paper wrappings and envelopes, cards and cardboard, tins/cans and foil in your recycling bin.
- Recycle flexible/soft plastics via the REDcycle collection program, with drop-off bins located at your local Coles and Woolworths customer service desks.
For more information visit Avoiding waste.
Bin collection changes this festive season
Residents with regular Friday collections will have their kerbside bins collected on the following dates, instead of Christmas Day and New Year’s Day:
- Saturday 26 December 2020 – substitute for Friday 25 December 2020.
- Saturday 2 January 2021 – substitute for Friday 1 January 2021.
Please place your bins out the night before collection only.
Book your free Christmas tree collection
You can easily dispose of your real Christmas tree this January with a booked collection at no cost to you.
Collections will operate from Monday 4 January 2021 to Friday 5 February 2021. Please note only real Christmas trees will be collected, not plastic.
Bookings open on Monday 7 December 2020 and close at 2pm Friday 29 January 2021.