If you’re heading away over the summer holidays, don’t let your unoccupied home become a target for burglary.
Boroondara police recommend following these security tips:
- Be careful when posting holiday plans on social media
- Consider a house-sitter to look after your home while you’re away
- Ask a neighbour to bring in your bins, collect mail, and occasionally park their car in your driveway
- If you have a home phone, turn down the volume
- Set a smart-home device to turn a television and lights on and off.
You can also register your absence from residence with Victoria Police online. This information can be used to reach you or your emergency contact in case of an incident at your home, and could prompt local police to check your home during routine patrols.
Register your absence from residence with Victoria Police on the Service Victoria website.