In response to local community requests and changing community needs, a fenced dog play area is planned within a portion of Gordon Barnard Reserve.
The designated fenced dog off-leash area is located between the existing pool and eastern oval, as approved by Council at the 7 December 2020 Services Delegated Committee meeting. The remainder of the reserve will continue to be a dog on-leash area.
We developed a draft concept design based on previous community consultation, specialist advice from dog behaviour experts, industry design guidelines and precedent projects.
The key features you told us are most important in a fenced dog play area include an open grassed area, fencing, dog waste bags and drinking fountains.
Key features of the draft concept design include:
- Dog nature play activity areas, including tree logs and rocks
- Open grassed areas for active play
- New shade trees and landscaping
- New fencing and gates around the perimeter of the fenced dog play area
- A safety ball net between the eastern oval and fenced dog play area
- Widening some of the access road and expansion of the car park
- Mural on the wall of the small building adjacent to the car park
- A 2m wide concrete circuit path around the fenced dog play area
- A mix of ground surfaces, including lawn, mulch, concrete, railway sleepers and granitic gravel for dogs to interact with
- New furniture, including a variety of seating options, bins with dog waste bag dispensers, signage and an accessible drinking fountain with dog bowl.
Download the draft concept design
We are currently seeking your feedback on the draft concept design of the new fenced dog play area.
Consultation is now open and closes Sunday 7 February 2021.
To have your say, please complete the online survey.
Your feedback will help inform the final design for the construction and delivery of the project.
For more information contact our Landscape and Design Team on 9278 4444 or at [email protected].