In 2015, the City of Boroondara developed the Laneways Strategy for Shopping Centres - bringing our laneways to life, which seeks to conserve, manage and revitalise our laneways. Stage 1 of the project was recently implemented in Camberwell Junction.
Council is pleased to advise that Glenferrie Place, Hawthorn, has been identified as the next project. The laneway is an important pedestrian link to the Uni Lodge apartments and services the rear of a number of properties fronting Glenferrie and Burwood roads.
The draft concept design aims to:
- contribute to the livelihood of Glenferrie Shopping Centre by improving the appearance and functionality of the public realm
- encourage traders to activate laneway frontages to boost business and improve street life (subject to Council planning approval)
- improve walkability by re-paving the laneway
- improve safety through better lighting
- incorporate commissioned artwork to deter unattractive illegal graffiti and reduce long-term maintenance costs.
No alterations are proposed to existing vehicle movements and access to properties.
We are now seeking your feedback on the draft concept plan to inform further resolution of the design. Feedback can be provided until 22 March 2018 via:
- email: [email protected]
- post: Environment and Sustainable Living, City of Boroondara, Private Bag 1, Camberwell VIC 3124.
The proposed works are scheduled for implementation in the 2018-19 Financial Year and are subject to further detail design, funding availability, property owner’s consent and the outcomes of this consultation.
Please contact Mark Skiba on 9278 4066.