The consultation for Dorothy Laver Reserve West has now closed. We received a significant number of responses, which we are now reviewing to ensure all feedback is considered.
The results from this consultation will be collated in a report and delivered to Council. This report will be available on this website prior to the Council meeting.
We are proposing an exciting new project with the installation of a synthetic surface to Dorothy Laver Reserve West to enhance the overall community benefit and use of this ground.
The multi-field synthetic surface would provide one senior soccer field, one junior soccer field, two under 6-7 MiniRoos soccer fields and one cricket field (overlaid across the soccer fields).
The six existing sports ground lights would be renewed with LED lights and a perimeter fence installed around the synthetic facility.
Why the project is needed
Sport and recreation plays a vital role in maintaining and improving community health and wellbeing. The installation of a synthetic surface at Dorothy Laver Reserve West will provide:
- a year-round soccer focused facility that accommodates the full age spectrum of juniors through to seniors, and increases opportunities for women and girls
- Boroondara’s first Women’s National Premier League (WNPL) senior soccer field
- enhanced opportunities for passive recreation with approximately 2,800m² of land currently used for active sport being converted to passive open space
- energy efficient and environmental friendly LED sports ground lighting that increase training opportunities for participants between the hours of 5pm and 9pm
- relocation of the cricket wicket off the soccer field, providing a safer facility for sporting participants.
The project is funded through the 2018-19 capital works budget and foreshadowed in the 2019-20 capital works budget. The total project cost is estimated at $4.5m.
Construction is proposed to commenced in early 2019 and be completed in 2020. The playing surface at Dorothy Laver Reserve West would be unavailable during the construction period. Access to Dorothy Laver Reserve East, the shared path and hit-up wall will not be affected by these works.
For further information or to submit any queries, please email Rebecca Carland at [email protected] or phone 9278 4595.