The City of Boroondara has developed a Shopping Centre Improvement Plan which identifies streetscape improvement opportunities at 42 shopping centres across the municipality.
Council is pleased to advise that North Balwyn’s Bellevue Shopping Centre is the next centre to be considered for improvements.
We now seek your feedback on the draft concept plan to inform our future works.
The improvements are intended to enhance the shopping centre’s appearance and character and create a safe, functional and pedestrian-friendly environment. It is anticipated these measures will improve user satisfaction, and promote economic activity by encouraging more people to visit the centre for longer.
The draft concept plan aims to:
- increase pedestrian safety and comfort by creating safer pedestrian links and connections throughout the centre and from Bulleen Road to the shops
- create a new public space for cafe seating, relaxing and outdoor eating
- enhance the green and leafy character and streetscape appearance with new trees, consistent materials, street furniture, planting palettes and decorative paving
- improve access for all users via a new re-graded ramp connecting the bus stop to the shops, the raised crosswalk’s continuous footpath and a new disabled car park located on the service road.
To create these new public spaces and pedestrian-safety improvements, it is proposed to remove four car parking spaces. To assess the impacts of this proposal a parking occupancy survey has been completed and it was found that there is adequate parking provision within the shopping centre to accommodate the change.
Your feedback is important
You are invited to give your feedback until Monday 13 May 2019 via:
- email: [email protected]
- post: Environment and Sustainable Living, City of Boroondara, Private Bag 1, Camberwell VIC 3124
- in person: at an on-site public engagement session on Saturday 27th April, between 10.30am to 12.30pm at the south-west corner of Dorado Avenue and the service road, outside North Balwyn Chiropractic, Bellevue Shopping Centre.
The proposed works are scheduled for implementation in the 2019-20 financial year and are subject to further detail design, funding availability and the outcomes of this consultation.