The City of Boroondara is seeking community feedback on the draft landscape concept plans for stage two of the Balwyn Park Concept Master Plan.
The aim of this stage is to convert the space currently occupied by the Balwyn Park Tennis Club back into useable parkland and to reduce vehicle access into the park, while increasing pedestrian access around the park.
This will be achieved by:
- demolishing the tennis clubhouse and courts (once the tennis club is moved from its current location)
- opening up the eastern portion of the park to create a community space for informal sport and play (netball and basketball half courts, rebound wall, outdoor table tennis and soccer tables, outdoor gym and parkour equipment)
- incorporating shade trees, seating, picnic tables, a BBQ and shelters
- upgrading cricket training nets and increasing the number from 2 to 3
- completing the pedestrian promenade around the oval edge and the circuit path around the park.
- converting the central internal road into a shared vehicular and pedestrian zone
- converting the northern internal road into a pedestrian promenade with service and emergency vehicle access only
- providing a toilet facility
- providing improved access, seating and shelter to the southern oval
- upgrading the 90 degree parking along the side of the park in Cherry Road.
We will also explore:
- opportunities to incorporate acoustic measures and sound-reducing surface treatments to reduce noise from the basketball half-court to proceed with this facility
- potentially using the existing tennis court lighting to provide controlled lighting (via automated timers) to the activities area.
Your feedback is important
We encourage you to provide feedback on the draft landscape concept plans by Sunday 6 May 2018 via:
Email: [email protected]
Post: Environment and Sustainable Living, City of Boroondara, Private Bag 1, Camberwell VIC 3124
In person: at an on-site public engagement session on Monday 30 April 2018, anytime from 5pm to 7pm at the Balwyn Park Tennis Club clubhouse
Feedback received will be used to guide further design development. The proposed works are scheduled for implementation in mid 2019.
For further information or to request a hard copy of the plans, please contact Caroline Martin on 9278 4060 or email [email protected]