In 2015, we developed the Laneways Strategy for Shopping Centres - bringing our laneways to life (PDF, 5.94 MB), which seeks to conserve, manage and revitalise our laneways. Stage 1 of the project was recently implemented in Camberwell Junction.
We are pleased to advise that Balwyn Shopping Centre has been identified as the next project location. The proposed laneway is located within the Balwyn Shopping precinct that stretches between Yerrin Street and the rear entrance to Woolworths. The laneway is an important pedestrian link, servicing the carpark and the rear of a number of businesses fronting Whitehorse Road.
The draft concept design aims to:
- contribute to the livelihood of Balwyn Shopping Centre by improving the appearance and functionality of the public realm
- support local trade by creating more attractive public spaces through greening and potential mural
- support and encourage traders to activate laneway frontages to boost business and improve street life (subject to Council planning approval)
- improve walkability and maximise pedestrian connection within the shopping centre by re-paving the laneway
- improve safety through better lighting.
No alterations are proposed to existing vehicle movements and access to properties.
Download the draft concept design
Your feedback is important
This consultation closed on Friday 21 February 2020.
The proposed works are scheduled for implementation in the 2020-21 Financial Year and are subject to further detail design, funding availability and the outcomes of this consultation.
For more information please contact Joo Sung, Senior Landscape Architect on 9278 4060.