Quality facilities and assets
- The community's current and future needs for assets and facilities are proactively managed.
19.1 million net operating cost
2.56 million visits to Boroondara's leisure and aquatic centres
729.5 kilometres of stormwater pipes maintained
Balwyn Community Centre
The $7 million project of upgrading the Balwyn Community Centre is expected to start in mid-2018 and finish in 2019.
The site will be upgraded in line with community feedback, so that the centre can meet the needs of our growing population.
The buildings will contain additional and more functional spaces to better support programs and services; the heritage character of the old building will be maintained; and the street frontage will be improved to make the site more open and welcoming.
North East Community Hub
The new $17.2 million North East Community Hub offers a range of much-needed community services and programs in this part of Boroondara. The Australian Government has provided a $3.2 million grant towards the project construction, through the National Stronger Regions Fund, and the North Balwyn Returned Services League (RSL) sub-branch has provided the land to Council on a long-term lease.
The facility is planned to open midway through 2018 and the hub will have a range of features including a neighbourhood house, community meeting spaces, a library lounge, an integrated childcare centre, a maternal and child health centre, allied health and counselling services and the North Balwyn RSL.
Summary of other achievements:
- revised Council's Road Management Plan detailing how roads and footpaths are inspected, maintained and repaired
- developed the updated Drainage and Building Asset Management Plans which set out future direction of improving and maintaining Council's assets
- commenced construction of the North East Community Hub and renewal and extension of the Balwyn Library
- completed construction of the North Balwyn Men’s Shed
- developed the concept plan for the upgrade of the Balwyn Community Centre site
- renewed pavilions at the Hawthorn Bowls Club, Camberwell United Tennis Club and Camberwell Junction Tennis Club
- implemented improvements at Willsmere Village, Hartwell and South Camberwell Shopping Centres.