In addition to a number of major projects, there are other key initiatives in the Proposed Budget 2019-20.
Enhancing our shopping centres
- Improvement works will be undertaken to our public laneways in the Camberwell, Glenferrie, Kew and Balwyn shopping centres ($275,000).
- Under the Shopping Centre Improvement Plan, streetscape improvement works will occur at Alamein, Rathmines and Burke Road, Bellevue and Auburn Village ($2.1 million).
- Balwyn Shopping Centre will receive tree planting and upgrades to the footpath network to enhance its walking based village environment ($735,000).
- We will undertake public consultation on the Glenferrie and Maling Road shopping centres to identify community views and needs around encouraging revitalisation, community safety and increased economic activity.
- We will continue to implement ongoing energy efficiency upgrades and install solar photovoltaics to Council buildings to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions and help ensure our natural environment is healthy and sustainable for future generations ($250,000).
- We will deliver the Boroondara Sustainable Living Festival to provide an opportunity for the community to learn new skills and be inspired to live more sustainably ($41,400).
- This year we will finalise an important customer technology improvement project across our libraries, which will see a state-of-the-art borrowing, returns and stock management solution ($100,000).
Sport and recreation
- To maintain and improve the health and wellbeing of our community, we will continue with the Balwyn Park Concept Master Plan ($1.25 million) and Camberwell Sportsground Concept Master Plan ($650,000).
- To address a significant shortage of sporting fields, Council will implement two senior-sized turf soccer fields and a range of supporting infrastructure at Dorothy Laver Reserve ($900,000).
- To increase participation in sport, we are upgrading a range of facilities to ensure they are accessible for all members of the community ($3 million).
Safety and security
- We will continue to enhance the lighting on paths and shared paths ($204,000).
- We will construct the Anniversary Trail through Riversdale Park and abutting Camberwell High School to improve access and safety for pedestrians and cyclists ($500,000).
- A number of public safety and security measures will be implemented in response to the Australian Government strategy for Protecting Crowded Places from Terrorism ($250,000).
North East Link
- The Victorian government’s North East Link project will impact significantly on Boroondara including the Boroondara Tennis Centre, Freeway Golf Course, Koonung Creek Reserve and the loss of thousands of trees.
- Council will continue to advocate to remove and minimise the impacts from the project on our community through the Environment Effects Statement processes and working with project contractors to refine the final design if the project proceeds. 19/20 Budget: $1.06 million (comprising of $225,000 from grant funding and $835,000 from Council funding)