Terms and Conditions
- Information on the entry form and City of Boroondara website including how to enter, conditions of entry and prizes form part of these Terms and Conditions.
- Participation in this Award is deemed acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
- The competition opens Monday 7 May 2018, 9am AEST and closes Friday 31 August 2018, 5pm AEST.
- The Awards is a game of skill, and chance plays no part in determining the winners.
- Entry is not open to employees and immediate families of City of Boroondara, associated companies and agencies. Immediate family means any of the following: spouse, ex-spouse, de-facto spouse, child or step-child (whether by natural or by adoption), parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister or first cousin.
- Any entry of an entrant under the age of 18 who enters the competition and who does not provide the required parental or guardian consent will be deemed invalid. These Terms and Conditions of entry will bind such parent or guardian.
- The competition is comprised of two categories, Young Writers and Open Short Story.
- There is a limit of two entries per competition category.
- Entrants who are eligible for both categories may submit the maximum entries allowed on both categories.
- Entries must be the original, previously unpublished work of the entrant.
- Entries must be unpublished at the time of submission and remain unpublished until after the winner is notified at the Awards ceremony at the end of November 2018.
- Any entry containing past-prize winning works in the Boroondara Literary Awards will be deemed invalid. \Any entries that exceed the word limit will be deemed invalid.
- Any entries that are considered by the City of Boroondara, in its absolute discretion, to be of an offensive nature, will be rejected.
- The winners will be announced at the Boroondara Literary Awards Ceremony on Thursday 29 November 2018.
- The prize winners are awarded by the judging panel. The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The judges reserve the right not to award a prize in a category if they form the opinion that the entries submitted do not have sufficient merit to warrant the prize.
- The prize is provided by City of Boroondara and is not exchangeable for other prizes. Transport, parking and any other costs associated with redeeming the prize are at the winner’s expense.
- City of Boroondara reserves the right to request winners to provide proof of identity; proof of residency and proof of entry validity in order to claim a prize. The City of Boroondara reserves the right to contact Young Writers’ entrant’s schools to confirm eligibility. Proof of identification, residency and entry considered suitable for verification is at the discretion of the City of Boroondara. In the event that a winner cannot provide suitable proof, the winner will forfeit the prize in whole and no substitute will be offered.
- City of Boroondara shall not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever which is suffered (including but not limited to direct or consequential loss) or for any personal injury suffered or sustained in connection with any prize/s except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
- Entrants retain the copyright of any story, prose or poetry (‘works’) submitted.
- City of Boroondara and the Rotary Club of Balwyn reserve the right to retain, publish and sell copies of the Boroondara Literary Awards annual Anthology containing the winning and highly recommended entries.
- By entering the competition, entrants grant City of Boroondara and the Rotary Club of Balwyn permission to display and publish the works in digital, in print and online.
- Successful entrants who wish to remain anonymous or use a pseudonym must inform the Boroondara Literary Awards coordinator before Friday 26 October 2018.
- Any story that includes strong language or adult themes may not be included in the Boroondara Literary Awards anthology.
- By entering the competition, entrants indemnify City of Boroondara and the Rotary Club of Balwyn against all and any actions, claims or damages arising from any infringement of copyright by the entrants that may be taken against City of Boroondara or the Rotary Club of Balwyn.
- City of Boroondara accepts no responsibility for any late, lost or misdirected entries including delays in submission due to technical disruptions, network congestion or for any other reason.
- City of Boroondara will not be liable for any works lost or corrupted during the online submission. It is the entrant’s responsibility to maintain original copies of any works submitted.
- The Boroondara Literary Awards Committee (‘Committee’) reserves the right, in its absolute discretion to:
- adjudicate on eligibility of applicants
- disqualify any entrant where the Committee reasonably suspects any unlawful or improper conduct, such as infringing a third party’s intellectual property rights
- to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the competition, as appropriate.
The decision of the Committee in respect of the above matters is final and no further correspondence will be entered into.
- There are no charges to enter the competition. Any cost associated with accessing the City of Boroondara website is the entrant’s responsibility and is dependent on the Internet service provider used.
- To the extent permitted by law, all entrants release from, and indemnify City of Boroondara and the Rotary Club of Balwyn against all liability, cost, loss or expense arising out of acceptance of any prize(s) or participation in the competition including (but not limited to) loss of income, loss of opportunity, personal injury and damage to property, whether direct or consequential, foreseeable, due to some negligent act or omission or otherwise.
- The personal information requested on this form is being collected by City of Boroondara for the purpose of conducting the Competition. The personal information will be used by City of Boroondara for that primary purpose or directly related purposes.
- Where a prize-winning entry is published as permitted under the Competition' conditions, the author's name and state of residence (or school if applicable) will also be published by way of accreditation unless the author or the author's parent or guardian advises in writing that he/she or they do not wish to have the name published. The information may also be used to update City of Boroondara customer databases to assist City of Boroondara in discharging its functions or providing services. Some information may also be used and disclosed in City of Boroondara's marketing, promotions and retail activities, and or when exhibiting or publishing submitted works and such use and disclosure may occur outside Victoria. The personal information collected will not otherwise be disclosed unless permitted or required by law. If the information is not collected your entry to the Boroondara Literary Awards may be ruled ineligible. Requests for access to and/or amendment of personal information should be made to the Boroondara Literary Awards Coordinator or City of Boroondara’s Privacy Officer.