Family Day Care provides learning and development for babies and children up to 12 years old in a safe, secure and stimulating home environment.
The scheme is licensed through the Victorian Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD)and registered with the Commonwealth Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR).
What type of care is provided?
Family Day Care offers a wide range of care, including:
- part or full time
- casual or emergency
- before and after school care
- holiday care
- outside regular hours care
- overnight care.
Why choose Family Day Care?
The benefits of using Family Day Care include:
- warm home environment, providing individual attention to children in small groups
- groups of four children who have not started school, plus up to three school-age children
- care for children from a very young age
- flexible routines
- sibling placements where possible
- monitoring by qualified staff
- transport to local kindergartens and schools (on application).
Educators set their own fees which are based upon the programs offered.
Child Care Benefit (CCB) and the Child Care Tax Rebate (CCTR) are available to eligible families. Please contact the Family Assistance Office on 13 61 50.
For more information:
To register for Family Day Care please complete the registration (DOC, 40.5 kB) and payment (DOC, 708.0 kB) forms and email to the Family Day Care Coordination Unit.
You can contact the Coordination Unit at any time to change your details.
Home based childcare employment opportunity
Family Day Care Educators can make a significant difference to the lives of children and families in the Boroondara community.
Would you like to earn an income through running your own home based business? Do you enjoy being with children?
Our Family Day Care Service seeks applications from residents interested in providing quality home based childcare for young children.
Successful applicants are self-employed and may choose to:
- care full time or part time or
- care during regular or outside regular hours.
Some of the benefits of being a Family Day Care Early Childhood Educator include:
- being able to work in your own home so you can continue to look after your own children
- caring for a small group of children
- choosing the days you work
- attending orientation and professional development training sessions
- obtaining equipment provision
- obtaining access to resource library
- accessing to playgroup.
There is a particular demand for places for babies and children under two years.
Family Day Care Educators are selected, organised and resourced by qualified and experienced Council Coordination Unit staff.
Successful applicants will need to demonstrate the knowledge; skills and attitudes appropriate for the provision of quality childcare and either have, or will undertake, the Certificate III in Children's Services. In Boroondara there is a high demand for home-based childcare places. While parents may prefer care in a house with a yard, people in flats who can access outdoor play areas, such as parks, are welcome to apply.
Educators are self-employed and operate their own childcare business from home, setting their own fees.
Income varies according to the number of children and the hours of care provision educators provide.